Welcome to the Out On The Shelves Library Catalogue!
Who We Are
Out On The Shelves is a special, non-profit library built and cared for by volunteers, librarians, and librarians-in-training who are committed to anti-oppressive social justice work. Although we are located on UBC's West Point Grey campus, we are not officially affiliated with UBC or its libraries.
We are located on the second floor on the Nest (the student union building) on the UBC West Point Grey campus on Musqueam territory. Our library is nestled into the Resource Groups area. To find us, take the stairs or elevator up to the second floor from the main level of the Nest. From there, head straight down the hallway directly in front of you. Watch for signs for "Resource Groups." Near the end of the hall, a doorway for the main Resource Groups door (room 2102) will be on your right. Go through the door and then head straight down the hall to room 2112. That's us!
What can you do on the catalogue?
- Advanced Search: Click the “Advanced search” button near the top of the page to check out the contents of our catalogue. Enter your own search terms to find content suited to your interests.
- Read or create lists: You can use the “Lists” button at the very top of the page to check out themed library materials recommended by the Out On The Shelves librarians.
- Make purchase suggestions: If you have suggestions for materials you’d like to see added to our collection, put in a request by clicking the “Purchase suggestions” button. We always love your input!
- View my library account: All library patrons have a library account! Log in with your username and password to view your check-outs, circulation history, private lists, and more. If you are unsure of your log-in information or don’t yet have a library card, stop by the library and one of our volunteers can help you.
Overdue and unreturned materials prevent other patrons from borrowing these shared resources. We take the steps below to ensure that items are returned.
Overdue notices will be sent to patrons via email and/or phone (patron may choose which of the two options they prefer).
Items may be renewed a maximum of three (3) times.
Items that are over three (3) weeks overdue are considered lost. The Out On The Shelves Library reserves the right to charge a fine to replace lost, stolen, or damaged items. To replace a lost or damaged item, a minimum fee of $5/ paperback, $7/ hardcover, $5/ DVD disc will apply.
We are always gratefully accepting donations of books and DVDs with LGBTQ2IA+ content. You can check out our wishlist for specific titles we need. We are especially looking for items:
- Published in the last 10 years (or older ones with historical importance)
- Written by authors of colour
- Featuring bisexual, trans, two-spirit, intersex, and asexual characters and/or written by BT2IA authors
Please drop off donations when the library is open!
The Out On The Shelves Library is located at Room 2112, AMS Student Nest, 6133 University Blvd, Vancouver B.C. V6T 1Z1.
Because we are entirely volunteer-run, we occasionally experience gaps in our schedule. We apologize for the inconvenience, and encourage you to check the website before visiting!